As we move into January is there any better way to fight the winter chill than with chocolate? We didn’t think so either. This decadent three-layer chocolate cake topped with bitter chocolate buttercream will have everyone crooning “Yummm…” with three m’s. Pair with a glass of ice cold milk or your favorite red wine (we suggest a cabernet sauvignon).
Grand Champion Chocolate Cake
- 3 1/2 Cups Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Cocoa Powder
- 4 Cups Sugar
- 1 Tbl. Baking Soda
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 Tbl. Salt
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Tbl. Vanilla
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix all dry ingredients into one bowl and make a well.
- In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients except for the boiling water.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and whisk well. Add boiling water at the last.
- Cut parchment paper to fit three (3) 8-inch cake pans. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Pour batter evening in pans and bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely and remove from pan.
- Layer the three tiers on a serving plate with generous buttercream frosting between layers (see recipe below). Top the cake and sides generously with buttercream frosting.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Bitter Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 8 Egg Whites
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3 lbs. Unsalted Butter (chopped into small pieces)
- 17 oz. Bitter Sweet Chocolate (melted)
- 1 Tbl. Vanilla
- Combine egg whites and sugar and whisk well.
- Cook over a double boiler until mixture reaches 120°F.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a kitchen blender.
- Whisk at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- While mixture is still warm, add melted chocolate and Vanilla.
- Add butter pieces gradually and mix until smooth.