Tarrty sweetness compliments the spicy perfectly in our Green Apple & Chipotle relish in March’s recipe of the month. Enjoy with your favorite sandwich or prepare a large batch and give as gifts to your favorite people!
Green Apple & Chipotle Relish
- 2 Tbl. Salad Oil
- One small Sweet Onion (minced)
- 3 Granny Smith Apples, corded and chopped into bite-sized pieces with the peel left on
- 1 Tbl. Chipotle Powder
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp. White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/4 C. Orange Juice
- 1 tsp. Chopped Fresh Oregano
- One Orange, segmented & roughly chopped
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- In a large saute pan, heat vegetable oil.
- Add onion and cook for two minutes.
- Add apples, cover, and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Combine chipotle powder, cumin, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, and oregano in a food processor.
- Transfer to a medium-sized bowl and add orange juice.
- Add chopped oranges and the apple onions from the saute pan to the chipotle spice mixture and stir well.
- Cover and allow to sit in refrigerator overnight (or at least two hours if preparing same day).